HELP!! Does anyone happen to know a good tutor for a child with a learning disability?

Kellie - posted on 12/15/2010 ( 8 moms have responded )




My son Nathan is in 3rd grade and is 9 years old. He has alot of difficulty learning in school. He has come a long way but I am scared to death he will just keep advancing and he will be SOOO far behind. He was diagnosed as PPD/NOS & is ADHD. He WANTS to learn but most of the time just doesn't get it. I need someone to come to our house a couple (maybe 3 depending on the cost) of days a week an hour each time to work with him. Can anyone out there recommend someone good who works with children like Nathan??? Please help!!! Thanks, Kellie


Wendy - posted on 12/15/2010




Hi,I have a 10 yr old daughter with adhd, who is currently behind on her schooling. I find the best way for her to learn is on a comp. There are some good websites that teach using animation, that keeps her interested and is slowly catching up to her grade.
I would recommend searching for whatever subject, grade, online and try that first, If doesnt work then look for tutors.
Good luck


View replies by

Aashish - posted on 02/25/2014




Hey, I want to try my best to help him. I am tutoring online from last three years and try to help kids to learn through animation and other cartoons. Please contact me on
skypeid jain17aashi

and my mail id is

Isabella - posted on 12/17/2010




I have children at my school that have learning disabilities. Find a good montessori school that will accept him.

Tammy - posted on 12/17/2010




If you want to try a different route I would suggest something a little out of the usual "let the school deal with it" answers. How much are you willing to do to work with him? I ask because a lot of problems stem from the teaching methods we generally use in schools. If I am correct I'll bet his reading and spelling are just a bit behind. He may or may not also be labeled with some form of dyslexia. The Spell to Write and Read program, when used with perserverence, (without bailing the first week, LOL) has taught severly downs syndrom children to read and spell at the 12th grade level so ADHD is not a problem. Most learning problems start with a lack of reading skill which is due to the whole word instruction taught in schools. the SWR method is interactive and requires the child to be an active participant. Additionally there is a developmental eye problem where the symptoms are identical to ADHD so I'd take him to a "VISION" specialist. Vision is different than sight.

Renae - posted on 12/15/2010




I cant answer your question, but as someone else has already said, you much look into their training. You can find tutoring agencies in the phone book, just start calling them. You could also ask your doctor for a referral to a centre that works with children with learning difficulties.

In Australia, many tutoring agencies will hire anyone with a tertiary qualification. I was a tutor while I was at uni, I had completed a basic 6 month certificate at Tafe which had nothing to do with teaching and that along with the fact I had been accepted to university was more than enough to get me a tutoring job. I was given NO training at all, I was not even given any instruction on how to do the job, it was left up to me to just figure it out. I was told, "just help them with their homework". I did my own research and used to read the child's textbook of whatever topic they were having trouble with to educate myself and do my best to explain it to them so that they understood. But in reality I had no idea what I was doing so I only did it for about 6 months.

So make sure your tutor has qualifications in education and has done some sort of specialist training into working with children with learning difficulties.

Rebekah - posted on 12/15/2010




Is the school aware of his diagnosis? I'm supposing they are...and if so, he should have been evaluated by the school to see what his learning needs are. I don't know where you live, but in the US he could be eligible for an IEP (individualized educational plan) that would identify what special helps he might need in school, whether he'd have modified tests, extra reading/math support, etc. I would hope the school could support your son if he is struggling that much. That being said, I know a lot of schools have had budget cuts, including special services. If they cannot provide more, I'd ask the school (maybe specifically the special education department) and/or the county Intermediate Unit if they have a list of certified teachers who are available to do tutoring outside of school hours. A teacher who has had some special background training in working with kids with special needs would be ideal. Best of luck to you and Nathan!

Laura - posted on 12/15/2010




When looking for a tutor for your son make sure to ask about their training. Your son has a learning disability so you want to look for someone with experience and training in Special Education. This is important because these teachers and tutors have the know-how (and patience!) to work with special needs students. So ask for crudentials!

In the meantime, see what materials are available for the computer, as suggested already. You may even be able to find learning software designed for your son's particular learning requirements. This can then be used at home to suppliment what he is learning at school.

Finally, try finding a support group for yourself as a parent with a special needs student. Check your local hospital or mental health facility for information. Some support groups focus on one area such as Parents of ADD/ADHD Children. You will not only find others with similar stories, but you might be able to find helpful information (maybe a tutor?) about educational options. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms