Raye - posted on 04/27/2015




Depending on the age of your son, and what the terms are of your custody agreement, you may need your son's father's permission to change your son's last name.

Where are you from? In the United States, it is a rather simple process to change a last name through the court system. Most state government websites have forms online that you can print and use. The questions on the forms are very straightforward, and may include the old name, new name, social security number, reason for name change, and a promise that you are not changing the name to escape debt or criminal liability.

Once you have these forms filled out, simply take them to the court clerk and file them along with your state's required filing fees (generally around $150-$200). In most cases, a judge or magistrate will review your forms and grant the name change. Some states require an advertisement of the new name, which is done simply by posting notice in the local newspaper. Be sure to check the requirements in your state by visiting your state government's website or calling your court clerk.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms