Hi Guys

Holly - posted on 06/25/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




I really need some help. My little girl is 4 now. her dad is on the birth certificate. He has not seen you for 3 years now. can i take his name off it? and change her last name to my hubbys last name? i wasnt married to my lilttle girls dad. so i just need to know. Her dad was on drugs and he was always drinking. he was a very angery person. and the last thing i wanted was for her to be around all that. i know i did the right thing for her by getting out of there. i did try and get him to see her but he never botherd with her. he wasnt at the birth. i just want him off the bith certificate. If anyone can help me that would be Awesome. Thanks guys


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 06/25/2014




If you live in the US, the ONLY way to amend a birth certificate is to contact Vital Records in the state that issued the BC, and follow their steps. HOWEVER, if the man is the child's biological father, you will not be able to have his name removed from the document. You MAY be granted a legal name change after the petition process, but ONLY if her father agrees and doesn't counter petition the court.

What you need to do is get legal custody established and allow for visitation. If he chooses not to visit, then, down the road, you can petition to have his rights removed, but you don't get to make any of those decisions on your own just because you changed your mind about him (regardless of his behaviour, he's the child's father and does have parental rights).

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms