[deleted account] ( 3 moms have responded )

I need help I need to home school my oldest child who is a special needs child i have to pull him out of regular school for several different reason and I do not know where to start. Any help please and thank you. I live in Michigan


Stephanie - posted on 04/25/2012




Since it's so late in the school year, I suggest finding out if the school has a homeschooling program or independent study program, possibly be declared a school by the state.. We home school my son and use the K12 program because they provide the books and curriculum. Its online and offline and we have a teacher for support. we also add to what they give us. I know of many people who make their own curriculum and add different things based on their child's needs, but follow state guidelines.


View replies by

Linda - posted on 04/25/2012




Go to That is the web site for Home School Legal Defense Association. They have links for all the states as to the rules for each state. They also have help for special needs children. In fact, if you are certain that you are going to homeschool, I would join them before you do anything else. That way, if your district gives you any problems, you will have a lawyer who will help you. I have homeschooled for 16 years, so let me know what else you want to know--though all the rules are different for different states. Ï have homeschooled in Massachusetts and New York.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms