How can I get my child back from her father that's in another state?

Gloria - posted on 07/27/2016 ( 4 moms have responded )




Hello. I need a lot of advice, answers, anything that can help me out to get my daughter back. Well I gave my daughter's father permission to get my daughter for a couple of months so that he could spend some time with him, plus I know it's only right that she knows his father whether he's good or not. Now it has came time for him to bring her back and he says that I am going to have to go to court to get her back. We were never married, and she always been with me except for the last couple of months since she's been with him. I haven't talked to my daughter but one time since she's been gone because he will never answer the phone, answer my messages, or says she is with someone else. He lives in South Carolina and I am in Florida, and I really don't know what to do because I never thought it would come to this. I am so hurt and confused. He said he has went to court in South Carolina and they allowed him custody. Can they do that without informing the other parent? I have received anything from him or any court staying that he has custody. Please if anyone knows anything on this situation, please let me know. Thank you and be blessed.


Dove - posted on 07/27/2016




If you let her go out of state w/ her father w/out a court order stating you have custody and he has visitation time... the only thing you can do is get a lawyer and take it to court. This is why court orders are SOOOO important.

You don't have to like it, but he is her father and w/out a court order he has just as much of a legal right to keep her as you did all this time.

Good luck!


View replies by

Jodi - posted on 07/27/2016




If you never had any court orders, and he now has some where he lives, then he has custody. Period. I can't say it enough to people - GET CUSTODY ORDERS FOR YOUR KIDS!!! You need to talk to a lawyer.

Gloria - posted on 07/27/2016




No there are no court orders. I don't believe it's right now that he has her he says I can't talk to her or come get her. She is my child. I did right with her going with him, but now I have to go to court to get her back? That situation isn't right at all in anybody's book.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 07/27/2016




I take it that there are currently no court orders stating custody, visitation or support?

Get an attorney. He's got the same rights you do to ask for primary custody.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms