How do I co parent with out letting my emotions take over

Lydia - posted on 08/05/2015 ( 3 moms have responded )




My daughter's dad say's he want's to be in her life. But has not been for over 2 month's and still cannot give me any sort of schedule we can use to co-parent with... He claims he wants to take care of her but every time I ask him he just says he doesn't know, then I get frustrated because I feel like he doesn't care,, and we starting arguing about past incidents that have happened between us not even having anything to do with our daughter. Then I am ignored for weeks at a time, while I have my daughter.. And he doesn't call to see her or even check in on her. If I could I would take him back just for her but that is not going to happen because of the hurt we have put in each others lives.. It's very frustrating trying to be a bigger person and him giving me no feed back as to what he can do to start being in her life. I do everything and he does nothing, he doesn't see me taking care of her constantly and how hard it is to maintain school, work, and taking care of a one year old by myself.. I wish we could get this co-parenting right that way he will be in her life almost as much as I am and see that it's not easy and maybe treat me with a little more respect and give her what she deserves from her father..


View replies by

Jodi - posted on 08/06/2015




2 That's not long. He can't be regularly ignoring you both for weeks at a time.

He has a right to be in her life. Her's what co-parenting looks like. You file for a custody and visitation order. Then you have a schedule, and you have an order telling you what your parenting and his parenting needs to look like. You also file for child support. This then tells him how much he needs to pay you. And then, that's it. He doesn't NEED to see what you do every day to maintain your life. Why does he need to see what you do to be a parent every day? That's of no benefit to your child, it is simply what you want to punish him and make him feel bad. If he can't treat you with respect, you don't need to have much to do with him.

Michelle - posted on 08/05/2015




Shawnn has said what you need to do. You can either go to mediation first or straight to court.
Get visitation, custody and child support in place ASAP.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 08/05/2015




What are your custody, support and visitation orders? If he's not adhering to orders, he's in contempt. However, if you don't have orders, then they cannot be enforced.

So, if you don't have orders, get an attorney and get those in place. If you do have orders, have them enforced. He's in contempt of court if he's not following court orders, but there have to be court orders for him to follow.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms