How to have him sign over parental rights?

Mariah - posted on 07/22/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




I am 4 so months along in my pregnancy, young teen mother, Due on Christmas Eve. I want to make sure the father of my child has NOTHING to do with him/her. Baby will most likely be named Charlie, so we'll go with that(: Charlie is too precious to me already.. I want to do everything I can to make sure the father isn't around. I want him to sign over his parental rights, but I don't even know where to start with that! He is a drug addict.. Which I didn't know until I was already a few months along. I left the father after a short time of being with him because I discovered his very serious drug addiction. But it was too late, because I was already pregnant. I want to take every precaution neccessary to make sure my baby doesn't know he exist.. Do I go to an attorney? Do I print the papers up myself? Do I have to wait until the baby is born? Please help!! :/


Taylor - posted on 07/22/2012




No you need to go to a lawyer to consult the process. But to be honest it is very rare a parent will volunteerly sign them over, and even then it's ~contrary to belief~ not absolute he can't get them back. In most states he has no rights until he goes to court to get them. However once you go through the process of establishing he is the father he then gets parental rights. I would consider this carefully before you decide to attempt this. Because if he doesn't want to give them up you will have to deal with him in your child's life.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms