I am trying to change my baby to regular milk but it's giving him diareah

Jennifer - posted on 04/18/2012 ( 4 moms have responded )




My son just turned one on 3/30 and I started transitioning him to regular milk. I ebf for the first 6 months and then he started taking formula and bm until just recently when my supply ran out, but now I am trying to take him off formula and on to regular cow's milk. The first week I mixed 6 oz of formula with 2 oz of milk then this week I went to 4oz and 4 oz but its giving him diareah which in turn is giving him a mean diaper rash. Am I transitioning him too fast or could he be lactose intolerant? Any suggestion would be helpful Thank you, Jennifer


View replies by

Tina - posted on 04/19/2012




He could be lactose intolerant or maybe he's just not ready for regular cows milk. Generally it's recommended to start introducing it around 12 months but it also depends on your child you may need to wait a little longer

Mrs. - posted on 04/18/2012




My daughter is sensitive to cow's milk and gets cramps/bad diapers if she drinks a lot of it. We used goat's milk. You can get it with a higher fat percentage than cow's milk and it is often tolerated my kids who have lactose issues. Sheep's milk is also an option, but I find it hard to come by where I live.

If you live in North America, goat's milk is widely available in the big grocery chains in Canada and the US. I was even able to get a hold of it in the small Texas town my mother lives in when visiting. Just give your local chain a call and if they don't have it, they will often order it for you.

It is not super expensive and has that fat percentage most kids transitioning need.

Jennifer - posted on 04/18/2012




thanks Yolie I think that is what I am going to do but soy milk is so expensive and I'm a single mom any other options? My sil has her son on NIDO cause reg milk contstipated him so I was thinking of going that route also I just dont know

Yolie - posted on 04/18/2012




Make sure it is the milk and not that he picked up a bug...spring season comes with lots of those viruses...so delay the weaning for a week or two till you know he is well again, then try it again...otherwise, he might be intolerant and you could switch him to soy, or almond milk.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms