I believe my son's father is trying to have full custody

Teresa - posted on 04/10/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




What can I do if my son's father is trying to have full custody? Ever since my son was born he has lived with me but recently my son's grandmother ( his father's mother) has been giving me a hard time and has gone as far as to harassing the school where my son attends. Now he gets to go to his father's house for spring break and he goes every other weekend etc. etc. and every time my son cries because he doesn't want to go but earlier today when I spoke to him he asked me if he could live with his daddy and that daddy said he can come visit me whenever he wants. Now as I mentioned before my son always cries every time he has to go for the weekend or any holiday he has to go with his father, so by him asking me if he could live with his daddy I know they have mention something to him about living with his father. so my question is, in case he is going to try and have full custody of my son what can I do? Please help!


View replies by

Sammi - posted on 04/11/2014




Im kinda going through the same thing except I have full physical and we have joint legal custody I've been hearing he's trying to get full custody and its annoying as long as you have proof that he's not a stable environment then you shouldn't have a problem good luck I know how painful it is to have your child say they're going to live with their dad when their dad barely comes around given our children false hope especially when us as mothers provide everything

Jodi - posted on 04/11/2014




What does your current court order say? I think it is sad that you had to be harrassed before his father could have any time with him. As you said, it appears that he is only getting spring break and every other weekend because the grandmother harassed you. The fact is, she shouldn't have had to. If you had denied visitation until recently, then of course the kid cries when he goes - you haven't given him a chance to get to know his dad.

If there is no court order, then there is a very real chance dad IS going to go for full custody. There is also a real chance that dad can choose not to return him to you, and without any court orders, you have no legal leg to stand on. You need to talk to a lawyer and make sure you have formal court orders in place for the custody arrangements.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms