I need help with custody advice

Courtney - posted on 11/28/2012 ( 4 moms have responded )




Okay, So I am a teen in college. When I found out I was pregnant I told the father and he has not said a word to me since. His mom contated me and told me he will not promise and have nothing to do with this child until after the childs born and a paternity test can be done. I then said I would not share medical info about the baby with them then since they want nothing to do with it until after. And honestly who knows if he will even come around after. His mom told me i will greatly regret my decision of not telling them. And if he is the father she will fight for custody. Am I in the wrong and can she take custody? I have no record not even a speeding ticket and her son does. Also I have a job, am enrolled in community college, and have a steady household for my child to live in. He is the only person I have been with in college. his mom accused me of sleeping around but Ive slept in his room every single night so i find that hard to do.


View replies by

Lakota - posted on 11/28/2012




She can't get custody. It is between you and him only. If he does want to be in the child's life, he does have that right. He also has the right to a paternity test. Don't spend too much time worrying about grannie, she has no legal rights to the baby.

Lacye - posted on 11/28/2012




The first thing is his mother should have stayed the hell out of it. It's none of her business and if she contacts you again, just simply tell her that this is between you and her son. If he wants information about the child, he can contact you.

She cannot take custody from you. He would have to take you to court for that. And even then, it is rare for a judge to take a child that age away from its mother. She is bluffing you. That is about it. She's trying to intimidate you into doing what she wants.

Another thing you need to do, once the baby is born you need to get a lawyer and go ahead and get everything set up for court. Depending on where you are from, if you have to take this to court, a judge will demand a paternity test anyways (it's like that where I'm from). The sooner you get this settled, the better off all of you will be.

Dove - posted on 11/28/2012




SHE can't take custody, but you don't have the right to refuse him a paternity test. He can take you to court for one once the baby is born and file for custody. Unless he is a danger to the child... chances are quite good that he would get joint custody.

HE is the father and this is the baby's grandma. There really isn't anything they CAN do until the baby is born anyway. Why not try and work with them to save the baby from being born into a life of stress and turmoil?

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms