Interfering with custody

Kristina - posted on 09/12/2016 ( 3 moms have responded )




So I guess I will try to make this the Readers Digest version of what we have going on. My husband and I both have kids from previous marriages. I have two lovely boys with my ex-husband. I hate to brag but we have an amazing co-parenting relationship. Grant it he does not pay child support even though there is an order. But he calls and talks to our kids and loves them very much. I would never think about keeping them from him because he is their dad.

Now on the other hand my husband has a beautiful daughter with his ex-wife. We have not heard or seen a thing from them since February 7th. Not for a lack of trying either as her mother will not allow us to see her. She has moved and changed her number to keep her from us. We have a court order with clearly written out orders from the judge stating our visitation. She has a geographical restriction on her as well. Meaning she is not allowed to move 150 miles from us. Well as far as we know she no longer lives in the same town. She was supposed to let us know of any changes in employment, address, number, and medical. She has been interfering with custody since my step daughter was born. She will be 3 at the end of the month. Her mom does not believe in vaccination (even though her and her whole family is vaccinated). She is trying to use that as grounds to keep us from her because we have medical rights to her. We have done everything (aside from hiring an attorney again) to try to find them and get our custody enforced. We called the police department in the city she was living in to get Interfering with a custody order brought up on her which is a felony in the state of Texas. But the police refuse to enforce it. We have called the states attorney with no answers or response back. My husband has seen our daughter 3 times in a year. We just want her to come home. I am so pleased to say that we are expecting another baby in November. We want our boys to know their sister and to have a relationship with her.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? Our attorney wants $3000 to get things started again but we are trying to figure out a way that isn't going to be such a financial drain. We are going to eventually go to court to get custody of her so she can come home. But my husband has only seen her 3 times in a year and we are afraid of making it hard for our daughter. Idk we are just lost and need advice.


View replies by

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 09/12/2016




She is under the age of 18? That is the ONLY way her parents would be able to claim her, and she would still have to file taxes on her own income.

You are going to have to bite the bullet here. The longer you wait, the harder and more expensive it will be. Have you asked if a payment arrangement could be made with your attorney?

Kristina - posted on 09/12/2016




Unfortunately we make just above the amount for Legal Aid. I am not sure how I would go about finding her through taxes. We don't have her social and I am pretty sure she has her parents claim her and her daughter as dependents so she is not on record anywhere. Literally she dropped off the face of the planet.

Sarah - posted on 09/12/2016




Can you try going through Legal Aid instead of a private lawyer, that at least would be cheaper. Also, there must be a way to locate her thru her tax return or social security number.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms