Is there a way to take away a fathers rights???

Charli - posted on 05/10/2012 ( 3 moms have responded )




My son is 5 years old and his father has only seen i would say 4 times is whole life. I went and got sole custoday of him and his father has no parenting time he also does not pay child support. Now i know in the state iof arizona that even though i have sole custoday i am not allowed to live more then 100 miles away from him without his consent. i was wondering if anyone knows a way to get his rights taken away? My son always tells me that he does not like his father which i understand because the things that his father has done to him. I just want him out of our lives. Does anyone have any advice??


View replies by

Medic - posted on 05/11/2012




Jodi- sorry I should have explained more. When we lived in Arkansas we were told by our lawyer there that after one year of no contact he could build a case for term of rights and adoption. Most judges do not want to term rights if there is no one to step in unless the child is in danger.

Jodi - posted on 05/11/2012




Apparently failure to maintain contact is not a reason for termination of rights. Although it does allow for abandonment, but given it specifically talks about not maintaining contact as a separate thing to abandonment, I'm assuming your case doesn't fall under abandonment. You'd have to prove it was in your child's best interests to terminate.

I'm assuming you HAVE filed for child support and it has been ordered, but he's just not paying it?

Might be worth a quick visit with a lawyer just to see what is involved.

Medic - posted on 05/10/2012




I know in some states after one year of no contact you can terminate rights.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms