Is this even legal???????

Shenora - posted on 07/16/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




Okay heres the deal i allowed my child to visit with my ex whom i assume is her father but am not sure because we have not established dna, anyhow we agreed between the two of us that he could keep her from the end of Feb. til the end of May (we stay in two different states), well my child still isnt with me he refuses to bring her back, he has not signed her birth certificate, nor does he pay child support and has not taken a dna test does he have the right to keep my child? I have talked to law enforcement here where i reside but they claim they cant help me have also tried legal aid, family court and my counties attorney!


View replies by

Dove - posted on 07/16/2012




Is he ON the birth certificate? If he is and there is no court order for custody... yes, it is legal.

If he's not on the birth certificate and there is no court order stating that he's the father and has custody or visitation... no, it's not legal.

You say he didn't sign it, but is his name on her birth certificate? I don't know if the name can or can't be on the birth certificate without a signature since my husband always signed it. I'm 'assuming' it can be though.

If his name is on the birth certificate.... your only chance at getting your child back is to pursue custody in court.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms