Marrying a marine but have children fromm prior marriage

Heather - posted on 06/16/2015 ( 3 moms have responded )




I have primary sole custody, but joint legal custody with my ex husband. I am marrying a marine and will need to relocate to nirth carolina, but currently live in pennsylvania. There is no set visitation scgedule for the children, we tend to alternate weekends but i have them during the week also. Is this an easy process? My ex has already expressed to me he does not want the kids to be more than an hour away


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 06/17/2015




The other ladies have said it all.
Your ex has already indicated that he won't let you move and if he takes it to court then you probably will be prevented from leaving.
Get yourself a lawyer and go through the courts. It depends on if your ex will allow it though.

Jodi - posted on 06/17/2015




It won't be easy. You are suggesting removing the children from their father. He has every right to object. Even though you don't have a set visitation schedule, there is a status quo that has been established, and he could very well argue that. You need to go and seek the advice of a lawyer, but whatever you do DO NOT relocate with the children until you have some kind of court order saying that you can - that is a sure way to potentially lose custody of the children.

Ev - posted on 06/16/2015




No, its not going to be easy. As you do not have a visitation schedule set up you should have done that from the get go to at least cover bases. He has legal joint custody so that means he can have a say in where they live too. Just because you got married does not mean that you get to take the kids with you. If you interupt his chances of seeing the kids he is well within rights to take it to court and bar you from moving the kids or moving at all or getting primary sole custody.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms