Christie - posted on 02/20/2013 ( 4 moms have responded )




I really need some advice. My boyfriend and I have a 6 month daughter and we live together. When I got pregnant I applied for Medicaid and one my daughter was born she gets Medicaid as well. Since I barely worked last year and not making barely anything with income taxes my boyfriend wants to claim her and I on his income taxes but I am not sure if that's a good idea. I heard that we could get in trouble. I was just wondering what I should do and if we could get in trouble for this.


View replies by

Shawnteria - posted on 02/20/2013




If you two live together and he brings in all the income and have been for the past year then yes it is ok for him to claim head of household and claim u both on his taxes and aslong as you havent made over 3800 in taxes it works out better for you both as well if u have then you should just claim yourself and allow him to claim your daufgter assuming he made the most money for the year that way it works out

Dove - posted on 02/20/2013




If you live together he might be able to file as head of household and claim you both... You would have to ask a tax preparer though as I don't know for sure and it may or may not have a better result than you each filing separately as single and one of you claiming your daughter.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 02/20/2013




Unless you're married, I don't think he can claim you. And only one of you can claim the child. If you're her primary caregiver. you claim her, and make sure you look into earned income credit, as well as the child credit that you get

Holly - posted on 02/20/2013




claim your daughter and get the earned income credit as well as the child tax credit

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms