my ex wants to sign his rights over but the courts won't let him because I'm single... meaning not marrried. if the has happened to you, what did you do? I want the rights signed over too.

Ashley - posted on 10/31/2012 ( 3 moms have responded )




My daughters "dad" I call him sperm donor; well anyways he wants to sign over his rights and I want him to too (he's a POS!) but the courts won't let him because I'm single; not married. What have you done if this ever happened to you?? I'm going to be moving away in January and I want this done ASAP!Thanks!!


View replies by

[deleted account]

I think it may depend on where you live. I have never been in this situation, but I say that because I actually know a woman who's child's father signed over his rights and I know that she has never ever been married. Call around to some lawyers in your area and ask if they do a one time free consultation! That might get you better info on whether it's even possible where you are, and if so, how to get around the "red tape".

Lacye - posted on 10/31/2012




Sorry to tell you but most judges will not allow a father to sign over his rights unless the mother is remarried and the stepfather is willing to adopt the child.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms