Name change question

Rebecca - posted on 04/04/2013 ( 3 moms have responded )




I changed my daughters last name through the courts however we never updated it on her birth certificate or her social security card. We actually changed our minds after it was completed through the courts. (her name was hyphenated with mine and her fathers and we decided to remove MY last name. Now that she is older she WANTS my last name to still be a part of her name) My question is, what is her legal name now since nothing was ever changed other than the court order we have?


View replies by

Amy - posted on 04/05/2013




I would think once it's changed with the courts it's changed whether you use it or not. I know after I got married I didn't change some of my accounts over because I had to fax them stuff and full out all these forms and it was a big hassle but my name was still changed. As long as you still have the court papers saying the name was change do think you would just have to provide that court paper.

Michelle - posted on 04/04/2013




That is a good question.

If she uses her birth certificate as ID then it has her original name on it. it would be best to check with the courts and find out for sure though. You don't want a big hassle when she wants to get a passport or something.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 04/04/2013




good question!

I would say that you need to contact your state department of vital statistics, and possibly the clerk of court. The worst case, I would think, would be that you have to do the whole name change process again with the courts, but I don't know for sure.

Let us know what you find out!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms