Need advice

Mandy - posted on 04/14/2016 ( 3 moms have responded )




I am desperately needing some good advice from someone who might have some experience, my sister had her first baby last July, and I have had her since she was 3 days old. My sister knows who the dad is, but did not list him on the birth certificate, he came to see the baby in the hospital but has not been around since. My sister is Bipolar, and drinks all the time. She goes weeks without calling and only sees the baby if I'm at our moms house. My husband and I have two older children, but our whole family loves this baby girl and would love to adopt her. My sister has said she would let us adopt her, but we don't know what to do about the dad. We have added the baby to our insurance bc my sister has no job and no way to pay any dr bills for the baby. She had to sign a legal guardianship for us to add her to our insurance, but it was just one we printed at the library and had notarized. Does anyone have any suggestions of what we can do?


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 04/14/2016




Get yourself a lawyer and ask them the process for where you live.
Being an international site there are different laws around the world.
The other ladies have told you the basics but a lawyer will know exactly what you need to do.

Dove - posted on 04/14/2016




You would need to go to court. The father will have to have a paternity test (since he's not on the birth certificate... legally she should have put him on there) to establish his rights... and then he would have to sign away his rights (if he will... if not he could petition for custody/visitation if he chooses).

Sarah - posted on 04/14/2016




First, legally you must add the father to the birth certificate. At this time a DNA test needs to be done to prove paternity. Then, talk to the father. He has the right to parent if he desires and your sister had no right committing fraud by leaving him off the BC. If he does not desire to parent full time, he may chose to parent part time and pay child support. You cannot unilaterally force him out of her life no matter how little interest he shows. Get your sis to surrender her parental rights, ask the father what he wants; and be open to him seeing baby often or he may take her from you outright. Unless he is unfit, he has every right to his child.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms