need advice.,

Amanda - posted on 11/30/2010 ( 9 moms have responded )




ok so my soon to be brother in law and his gf have a almost 1 year old little girl... they have admitted to doing drugs and drinking around her and that when ever anyone would buy her something they would take the gift back and get the money for drugs. /Neither one of them has a job and they are living in a horrible house that should be condemed. The baby has been at my soon to be father inlaw and step mother inlaws house for the past week while her parents have been "trying" to get clean, but now they are saying they are coming to take her back on friday. Nobody thinks they are fit enough to take care of her and we dont want to involve cps unless its extremely needed. we're at are wits end on trying to save this baby and both us and my soon to be inlaws said we would take the baby until they can get clean and find jobs and a place to live...... any advice?


View replies by

Louise - posted on 11/30/2010




If you feel that child is at risk then the family should step in and if the parents insist on taking that child back then your only option is to call CPS. Remember you are doing this for the child as their voice can not be heard. I know I for one could not live with myself if anything happened to that child because I did not want to ring CPS. Try the direct approach with the parents first and then if nothing changes then I would definitely call CPS.

Amanda - posted on 11/30/2010




the baby is my brother inlaws... and believe me we would of taken care of this awhile ago, but they just moved back to town and we didnt know what was going on until thanksgiving. the baby isnt with them at the moment which is why no one called cps yet. she will be back with them by the end of the week.

Lora - posted on 11/30/2010




You don't have to involve the police, just call Child Protective Services. They'll arrange for baby to live with family and her parents can visit her.

Tah - posted on 11/30/2010




if this doesn't warrant cps..what does, when they are trading the baby to a drug dealer for drugs. it just happened to a little girl around her a few months ago and the drug dealer did some things to her that i hope have him touching his ankles for big bubba right now..not trying to be vulgar but the baby is in danger and i dont know what you guys are waiting on, i would be in court, a year ago...

Kate CP - posted on 11/30/2010




When, exactly, do you think CPS is extremely needed? They are selling off things for the baby to buy drugs. Would you like to wait to call CPS until after they've hurt her, starved her, or "forgotten" her somewhere? Call social services. They are not fit to be parents at this point in time.

Jessie - posted on 11/30/2010




call social services. that is the only thing you can do to help this child. I am sure it can be arranged for the in-laws to care for the child. please do it for the babies sake.

Bonnie - posted on 11/30/2010




I would call CPS because it sounds as though it is needed. CPS will take control of the situation more than any family members will. You don't know how their daughter is being treated while her parents are high on drugs and alcohol. To avoid anything bad from happening to her, I think it only makes sense to call them.

Laura - posted on 11/30/2010




Call CPS as soon as possible--it IS extremely needed!
The adults in that family needs professional help and the child's health, safety and well-being are at risk. While no one wants to risk being "blamed" by others, the fact of the matter is these adults are being irresponsible and are the ones at fault, not you or anyone else thinking of the welfare of the child! They have only themselves to "blame" for THEIR behavior and actions.

Most likely the courts would place the child with immediate family for care. Going through and working with the legal system, though slow and frustrating at times, provides the parents with much needed structure in their lives. A judge will set goals for the parents to accomplish before gaining custody back. These goals, which can include parenting classes, rehab, job training, etc are geared to actually help the parents create structure and stability in their life. It can be a time-consuming proccess, but if everyone sticks with it everyone will be better for it in the end. Then, hopefully, you can celebrate a family reunion! Good luck and hope this helps.

Amy - posted on 11/30/2010




Is this child your brother in laws or is it just the girlfriends? Are they checked into rehab or is this something they are trying together without professional help? Where do you live that stores give cash back without a receipt? Personally I would just involves cps especially if the child isn't related by blood, the reason being because this is such a bad situation and the gf can decide at anytime to leave and take the child and then you've list all hope of getting the kid help and the adults! Or you could just notify law enforcement that the two are doing illegal activities, they'll get arrested and hopefully forced into professional help but cps will still end up getting involved. Good-luck!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms