Need help and good advice on fathers rights being taken away

Elizabeth - posted on 12/13/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




Ok ladies I'm a young mother of two boys I'm trying to get their father to sign over his rights but he won't. Can I take him to court n get his rights taken away?? He hasn't paid child support in a year and hasn't seen my oldest since march of 2013 and he never seen my youngest. Do I have a good chance to win??


Ev - posted on 12/15/2013




Actually, the only way the father's rights can be taken away by a judge is if he is abusive, neglectful, or has harmed the children in some way and since he has not seen them much, how can a judge call him abusive or neglectful or harmful to the kids? As for not paying the child support, that is what child support enforcement agencies are for. If he has refused to sign his rights over, there is not much else you can do about it and taking him to court to take those rights away will demand proof he is a danger to the kids, harmful to the kids, or would not be able to care for the kids properly. And unless you have that proof, I doubt a judge is going to take his rights away. Also nagging him to do it is not going to do you any good because he will refuse you or not answer you at all. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but that is the jist of it. Also you need to check your state laws on this through the family court too to see what they have to say and get a lawyer.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms