Never Married Single Mother get kid's passport?

Sunny - posted on 04/11/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




My daughter is 7 now and I want to apply for her passport. The agency said I need a sole legal custody. I never married to my ex. The only reason he is on the birth certificate is that he was with me during my daughter's birth. He didn't even ask me to put his name on my baby's birth certificate but I was a soft touch I put his name on it. After three month, I can't reach my ex. We have never gotten in touch since that time. In this case, is that possible to get my daughter's passport without sole legal custody? I already applied for my daughter's passport. The agency wants me to get the sole legal custody. I went to court today found out that it's gonna charge at least 500 dollars plus I probably need a lawyer. I also have to go to court couple times to get sole legal custody for my daughter's passport. If I went to court which means I can't work I really don't have that much time and money. I put a name on my daughter's birth certificate it caused so much trouble now. In this circumstance, does anyone know how to get passport WITHOUT sole custody? Or how to get sole custody easily since father is not even here and he doesn't even want his daughter.

Thank you so much for your reply


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 04/12/2014




Unless you can track him down to sign the passport application then you need to go to court.
There is no easy way around it, they have told you what you need to do.

Jodi - posted on 04/11/2014




You are going to have to go to court for sole legal custody. That's your only option.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms