Not filling for child support is illegal? I'm breaking the law?

Rowan12022012 - posted on 03/31/2014 ( 5 moms have responded )




So yesterday I receive a phone call from my mother that made me upset. I have been with my son's father for about 6 years and we have a one year old son. My son's father and I live under the same roof. Anyways, he provides everything for my son. From pay day care (which is expensive), diapers, wipes, food, etc. Although he doesn't have the money to pay for rent/utilities, he still takes care of our son if he is sick and financially. We will be getting married soon, but its no rush.

WELL last night I receive a phone call from my mom who then tells me that I'm breaking the law for not filing child support and what I am doing is helping him break the law. I told my mom that he pays for all of our son's needs/wants and I don't need to do that, but she went on and on how Im breaking the law and I need to take him to court. My mom basically went off on me about child support and saying how my teaching license could be suspended and a bunch of craziness.

I was about to tears when I got off the phone because it was upsetting. She always calling about "IF I TOOK HIM TO COURT" and "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"

Should I take him to court!?


~♥Little Miss - posted on 03/31/2014




I don't understand, you guys are living together and getting married? Child support is reserved for those parents that are not together, and a money system needs to be set up for the parent that does not have full time custody. There are variations on that of course, but it is not for couples that are living together, and sharing child expenses. Sounds like your mom doesn't understand.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 03/31/2014




If you are living in a consensual relationship, he admits paternity, and you have plans to marry, then you are NOT in violation of any law that I'm aware of. Nor would you be if you decided to live separately, and share custody.

Child support, and the filing thereof, is established so that the non custodial parent is still paying for part of the child's expenses and needs. You're living with your partner, you're planning on marrying, and depending on your area, and the laws, you may already be considered a 'common law' marriage anyway.

Your mother sounds like mine. Anything to raise stress levels, and start a fight. If you're truly uncertain, you and your partner could consult a family attorney.


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 03/31/2014




Tell your mother to butt out, you are living together so you don't need to take your BF to court.
With her argument, every couple that had a child would be in court getting child support ordered!!! I really don't know what planet she's living on but it's not here. Sorry if I sound blunt but she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Why would you take someone to court that you are living with and planning to marry? I think you need to distance yourself from her.

Jodi - posted on 03/31/2014




Firstly, I am wondering why your mother feels that this is any of her business!!

I am also not aware that you are breaking any laws. I've never heard this one before!!

~♥Little Miss - posted on 03/31/2014




I would simply stop talking to your mom about any financial situations you are in. Cut her off.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms