Please help! Want to move to different city with my son but have joint custody

Lilly - posted on 03/31/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




I was wondering if any of you mothers have been granted approval from a judge to move to a different city with your child. I have a 7 month old baby and me and my sons father/common law are in the midst of separation. I live in Toronto moved here in 2011 all my family is in Alberta (mom, dad, siblings) I want to move back to Alberta as I will have a lot of help and support. I want to believe I can do it on my own but I am currently on maternity leave and I know child care is pretty expensive out here and I pretty much need to start from scratch get a new place furniture etc. and on top of that a family member ruined my credit therefore I am afraid I won't be able to find a good place for me and my child. So my question is if anyone has been in a situation where there requested approval from a judge to move out of province and what r the chances a judge will say yes. We will currently have joint custody


Jodi - posted on 03/31/2014




It is going to have to be a really good reason, but I don't like your chances. If you have joint custody, he could possibly argue the same things as you - that he has family support in Toronto, and that the child should stay there with him. 50/50 that he will be the one to get primary custody if you decide to move. You don't get more rights than him and you current living situation (in Toronto) is the status quo. So I'm not sure I like your chances.

I would suggest you talk to a lawyer.

This conversation has been closed to further comments

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms