Pulmonary Embolism advice please!!

Stacey - posted on 10/30/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




Hi, can anyone help me?! I am just wanting some sort of advice, i would be very grateful. To cut a long story short i am 24 years of age and i am 32 weeks pregnant, at 8 weeks pregnant i was taken into hospital with pain in my right hand side and breathing difficulties. I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, doctors words a massive one on my right lung and one on my left lung. From day one i have been worried about the birth, i was at first on Tinzaparing injection 1100 twice a day i then had a reaction to Tinzaparing so had to change to Clexane 80mg twice a day. I just feel confused i have been told from day one by my consultant that it is safer for me to have a natural birth or be induced, at first i was told that i may be induce at 38weeks then 39weeks now its 40weeks or may wait till even after 40weeks. I also had a meeting with a anaesthetist and a Senior midwife, she feels it would be best to have a planned Cesarean section, so its in a more controlled environment, regarding the amount of time i would have to be of my injection, where this cant be predicted if i am induced and sometimes inducing people doesn't work which can then lead to a emergency section anyway. I am just wanting any advise on this if anyone could give me any!! Thank you x


Rachel - posted on 10/30/2012




Hello! I am 21 and had my daughter in March. I had a pulmonary embolism in February at 38 weeks. They were so useless. I had my daughter the next week after being released from the hospital. They accidentally broke my water during my exam and I went into labor two hours later. If you had one (embolism) that early on, you need to have that little one by whatever means. They say natural labor is safer for the mother and child, but with this situation they may have more control/better observation with a C-section. You would have to talk more with your doctor. Say you want to have the child ASAP. If you are set on natural labor you can always try Pitocin/breaking your water (I mean having the doctor do it lol), but it could still result in a C-section. This is not based on how close you are to full term - it is about your body's reaction to the drug. Some do not react as desired. After they break your water you MUST have the child (usually within 12-24 hours) as it poses a risk to both of you (infection primarily). If you do not trust the answer, consult with another physician. Second opinions can be important.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms