Regaining permanent custody

Tiffany Marie - posted on 04/17/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




After 6 years of permanent custody my mom and I have agreed to give me permanent custody of my 3kids. What are the requirements to do so in the state of south carolina? We don't want to get lawyers and go to court if we don't have to. We'd like to do this as soon as possible.


[deleted account]

I am in SC.
Is your mother the court assigned guardian for your children?
If so, you do have to go through the court system, but you may not need a lawyer unless she is going to fight you.
The circumstances in which your children were removed from your custody will determine your course of action. If they were removed because a court determined that you were unfit to care for them, you may have to go to court to prove that you are now fit to care for the children. In that case, you will want to hire a lawyer.
If you voluntarily signed your rights over to your mother, you may be able to transfer rights back to yourself through filling out some simple forms. Your mother or the current guardian of your children would need to be present and fill out their portion of forms as well. There is a fee. Not sure how much.

Go to the family court offices and ask the clerk. S/he will be able to direct you to the proper steps.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms