Relinquishing Parental Rights in Missouri?

Kristen - posted on 09/30/2010 ( 3 moms have responded )




My ex wants to relinquish his parental rights to our 14 month old son to avoid paying child support. He has not attempted to see him since he was four days old but we are currently going through the processes of a custody battle. My ex has two children and another on the way, all different mothers, and does not make very much money. We are having the child support hearing in a few weeks and he doesnt want to have to pay. I was wondering if, in the state of Missouri, it is possible? I was under the impression that the only way a parent could sign over their rights was to make way for adoption.


View replies by

Tracy - posted on 10/01/2010




I know here in Tx he could sign off his rights all he wanted, and still end up on the hook for cs. That part, I think, is entirely up to you. If you are willing to just go your way and raise your baby without his financial contribution. Which, from the sounds of it, you'd be doing anyway. Frankly, I'd let him sign off, and let the courts know you do not want cs. Let him go his way and make his own problems. He doesn't sound too bright, having a bunch of kids by different women, and can't support any of them. You and your son are better off without. Raise your boy to be better than that! :)

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms