Relinquishing Rights...Is it possible?!?!

Shara - posted on 09/17/2011 ( 2 moms have responded )




Question?!? I live in Ohio, my sons father sent me a letter that he wants to relinquish his parental rights; mainly only because I am recently married and he doesnt want to pay child support anymore. Originally, we split up when I was five months pregnant, I moved in with my mom and he took off to Flordia. I filed for child support and finally got an order about two years ago. He very rarely pays and when he does it not even the right amount. For a while he would at least send a birthday card and christmas card. My son is now 4 years old and has never once seen his"real" dad. Is it even possible for him to give up rights on his own or do I have to agree and sign as well? In my head I don't care and would like the possibility of never dealing with him again, but in my heart, He should have to pay for his responsibility. He played a part in making him so why should he have a right to eliminate him all together. I couldn't imagine signing a piece of paper and never giving another thought to something that is a piece of who I am. Deadbeats make me so sick!!!! I know for a fact that he just doesn't want to pay anymore and he pays for another child already, that's always his excuse as to why he cant pay all the time. Someone please give me some advice?!?!?


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 09/17/2011




The fact that he doesn't want to be around or live up to his responsibilities tells me he is always going to be a dead beat dad I would let him relinquish his rights as he isn't paying you anyway and have your husband adopt him and raise him together showing him all the love you have for him

Britt - posted on 09/17/2011




I would defintly seek an attrny that does this area of practice (family law)

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms