Relocating a child due to new husbands Military location.

Vicki - posted on 01/06/2016 ( 3 moms have responded )




I recently just got married. I live in MN and my husband is stationed in Washington State. I am planning on moving there but I also have a 4 year old. In my state of law, it states that there has to be a consent from the other parent that the child is getting taken away from. Ilmk sons father and I have never got along since we split up. He wants nothing but misery and pain for me so I know he will not be okay with it and he will fight me until there is a court order saying I can take him.

I don't know where to go from here or how to even start this battle. I currently have solely and physical custody bit since I'm taking him out of the state, it doesn't matter.

Will I get legal help? It's so expensive for a lawyer.

If you are going through it, have gone through it, or know someone who's been in a similar situation, please comment below. Please also add if the military helped with family legal costs and the outcome of the situation. Thank you.


View replies by

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 01/06/2016




Perhaps your current spouse can ask for military legal aid for you, but that's a long shot.

The laws pertaining to child custody, and the removal of the child needing the approval of BOTH biological parents are there for a reason. If your relocation would impact the child's relationship with his father, then there will need to be an adjustment made, regardless of what you want.

I would say at this point, you need an attorney. You also need to be prepared for a judge to determine that the move may NOT be in the best interest of the child (who really is the important party in this case). If/when that happens, you will need to be prepared to either live apart from your current spouse, or work out a custody agreement that does not severely impact the child's right to have a relationship with both of you.

I will point out that there are quite a few military spouses who do not relocate with each new deployment. You may need to be one of those.

Jodi - posted on 01/06/2016




I believe the military have lawyers. Investigate your options through that avenue. You ARE going to need legal help on this one.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms