Revoking a "fathers" rights???

Harley - posted on 10/11/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




hi. I'm a 19 year old single mother doing everything by myself for my 5 month old son. i would just like to know if anyone has any information on revoking a fathers rights in Illinois. I have no proof of anything against his father only the fact that he likes to deny my son whenever there's a discussion about money. I'm not looking for child support I'd rather his father just not be a part of his life. Trust me my son won't be missing much! He has seen him about 24 hours total since he's been born and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt. I would like to move to Alabama to be closer to some of my family but i don't want to have to come back to Illinois or get in any kind of trouble for just taking my son away. His father hasn't seen him in over 2 months nor has he asked to, or asked anything about him. I've heard you have to wait till they're 2 years old but I've also heard 6 months. Also his father is NOT on the birth certificate. Any information would be greatly appreciated :) THANKS!


Ariana - posted on 10/11/2012




I would get a lawyer. To have his rights evoked can be very difficult and you need some real legal advice.

You can also just ask him to give up his rights. Considering he isn't interested you could tell him he'll never be reasponsible for giving child support if he gives his rights up.

You really need to speak to a lawyer, sometimes there are free legal clinics you can get information from.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms