Running away

Alisha - posted on 11/03/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




im an 18 year old mother still living with my controlling parents I have the opportunity to leave out of this country but my mom says if I go I have to leave my two year old daughter behind. What are myoptions llegally?


View replies by

Jodi - posted on 11/03/2014




As Michelle said, you cannot move your child to another country unless the father agrees. In fact, you are highly unlikely to be able to even get a passport for your child anyway without the father's consent. If you DO decide to move and take your child without consent, you could very well lose custody, even if you DO decide to return. There are also agreements between countries (the Hague Convention) whereby you would be forced to return the child and face criminal charges. However, if the father agrees, then your parents will have no say, unless your country has grandparents rights.

You should talk to a lawyer about this situation, because we can't say what the laws are in your country, but I wouldn't do ANYTHING without getting legal advice.

With regard to the "running away" thing.....what is the issue with just moving somewhere in your country. If you are in a country where 18 is considered the age of majority and your parents are no longer your guardians, then you aren't running away, you are moving out of home.

Michelle - posted on 11/03/2014




If the child's Father allows you to leave then you can. It has nothing to do with your parents.
The only way they can stop your daughter going is if they prove in court that you are an unfit Mother and go for full custody.
The best thing to do is seek legal advice where you live. Each country is different. Most places you will have to been to court and have full custody of your child. The Father can also fight for visitation as well.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms