Sex Offenders Having Children

Dana - posted on 10/15/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




I have two teenage girls whom do not want anything to do with their dad because he is a convicted sex offender. For the past two years he has taken me to court over and over again and getting me into contempt multiple times because the girls do not want anything to do with him. The only visitation he has is in counseling and the counseling is going terrible. Both girls do not like the counselor because she is aggressive and is trying to force the issue that they have a relationship with their father. Is there anything I can do to be able to have my husband adopt the girls even if the girls biological father protests?


Guest - posted on 10/15/2014




No. Unless their biological father gives up his rights or dies, your husband cannot adopt the girls.

If their only contact is during counselling, it can't be more than 3 or 4 hours a week. Just tell the girls that until they reach the age the court will allow them to choose whether they want a relationship with him or not (usually 16, so it won't be long), they have to go spend this time with him. Unfortunately, we can't pick our parents, and they are stuck with him, and he has a legal right to see them. Tell them to smile and nod politely through the sessions, but they don't have to listen or talk to him or the therapist. She can't do anything if they don't give her any words to work with.

Lastly, you need to explain to them that you know they hate seeing him, but if they refuse to attend these sessions, YOU get into legal trouble, and if you are found in contempt too many times, this gives him leverage to take to court and get even more visitation. So if they don't want to be spending even more time with him, they need to cooperate and let you take them to these sessions.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms