Should my son see his father (when he uses drugs?)

Jennifer - posted on 03/17/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )





Serious question. Not many seem to know the right answer. My son is 2 1/2. I was with his father for about 3 years. Our relationship was always an on/off situation. He used prescription pills and it eventually reached snorting Heroin. I had left with my son many times because of this. I have been apart from him for 7 months now. My son nor I have had any sight of him. Am I wrong??? He has never paid child support and there has been no open case for court. What I do get are short, threatening messages that he demands to see his son/or else/he will take me to court and/or take my son from me. Etc.



View replies by

Ev - posted on 03/17/2014




Agree 100 percent with Jodi. But if you are worried about the drug issue you might want to also ask the lawyer about that as well and see what you need to do to get that admitted into court (what kinds of proof). If you do not have any solid evidence or proof such as court documents for his drug use, or medical documents concerning it, just your say so is not going to cut it.

Jodi - posted on 03/17/2014




OK, here is the issue. Because you are not letting him see your son, he could actually take you to court and claim parental alienation and you could lose custody altogether. It has happened. You really don't want that. I would, however, recommend having a court order in place, so if I were you, I'd file first and push for supervised visitation. In the meantime, allow him to visit his son, but under supervision only. But you need that court order to protect you and your child.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms