so i have some concerns

KELLY - posted on 09/16/2016 ( 1 mom has responded )




My son will be 4 soon and his stepdad has raised him since he was 7 mos old. ''Real Father'' is not on birth certificate but has been sending some childsupport but has not contacted me over two years about his son. he has been in a rehab, i just want to know what if any rights will he have???


Sarah - posted on 09/16/2016




First, get the BC amended. Whether or not he ever parents this child, the BC is a legal document and it is important that it is accurate. If bio-dad were to become disabled or pass away, your son would be entitled to benefits, but if he has no proof of lineage he would lose those rights. What rights bio-dad would have is really up to the two of you to figure out or get it settled in court. Ultimately, he is the father and he is equally entitled and obligated to support and parent the child just as you are.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms