So torn!! To move or not to move?!

Gemma - posted on 04/12/2013 ( 2 moms have responded )




I'm 27 and have a 17 month old son. His dad and I were together for 6 years in total. I left him due to lack of affection and love from him. I've since met another guy who makes me feel like a princess. However he lives in Birmingham and I live in Sussex. He has travelled down to see me and has met my little boy and all is going well. However, for our realtionship to work one of us needs to move. At the start of the relationship my new fella said he wanted to start a new life else where, but as time has progressed he has realized he can't move away from his family. He and his family are very close. Where's mine live a while away. I don't know what to do.. My son's dad is the best dad in the world and also my very best friend. He has my son 3 evenings a week and every other weekend. He also pays what he is meant to towards our son. I'm so torn any ideas?


View replies by

Samantha - posted on 04/13/2013




First of all- I'm glad you have found someone who treats you like a princess!
Secondly- I agree with Jodi. Talk to your son's father. If he really is a good dad maybe it isn't the best idea to take your son away. I would put your son's interest first. You need to think; Could your son's dad still have him often? What happens if things don't last with your new partner?
Unfortunately, if i were you, i would think it was best for my new partner to move closer to me. You have more to loose than him. Or maybe you both me half-way so your son is still close to his dad, and your partner is still close to his family.

I'm sure it will work out for you *fingers are crossed :)

Jodi - posted on 04/12/2013




When it comes down to it, this isn't going to be your choice to make. It is going to end up being your little boy's dad's decision - as to whether he is okay with you leaving or whether he objects to it. If he objects and you decide to go anyway, he can have it stopped by the courts and then the decision will be by the court. So you don't get to decide.

The only advice I have is to discuss this with your son's father, but if he has a problem with it, you are going to have to either come to some agreement or apply to the court to move.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms