somebody help give me advice

Lynnitra - posted on 06/16/2011 ( 5 moms have responded )




How do I deal with stress when my kids father got 24 years in prison?im Single mom working part time job try pay bills without a fulltime babysitter im so stressed somebody help give me advice then my oldest miss his dad so he acts out I can't barley date help I'm in need of advice


JuLeah - posted on 06/16/2011




Sorry for the situation. Don't know what all happened, but you might be able to receive resources based on this. Victum funds are out there. Support groups for folks with loved ones behind bars.

Your son acts out so you can barley date?

Don't know how long their father has been gone, but maybe you ought not be dating just yet.

There are many community resources out there, get support for you and your kids.

The chances of your son following in his father's footsteps are high. You can change those odds with the right intervention.

Big Brother/Big Sister programs, for example. Talk with the school and see what they can offer.

Good luck

[deleted account]

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I have no experience with prisons or people in prisons, but essentially you're a single mum.

Surely you would be eligible for some financial assistance through welfare. That would help you with bills. Look into any other welfare programs there might be to help with childcare costs too.

You don't mention how old your children are,but obviously your eldest is old enough to know dad's not around. You will have to be more consistent in how you run things at home and try to establish a routine. Routines calm kids because they know what to expect at any given time. You may want to look into counseling for him too. Routines will also help alleviate your stress because it's a planned day.

Talk to the Red Cross and other outreach groups that help people in need. The Red Cross isn't just for disasters and actually offer quite a lot for any people in need, including parenting classes. Not that you need parenting classes, but it gives you an idea that they do a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect and may be able to help you. If they can't help, they may be able to point you to the right people.

Reach out for help from organizations out there. I'm sure if you looked and asked around, you would find a support group for wives of inmates too. Start with welfare and the Red Cross and see where they take you. The help is out there.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Get some advice/help from those organizations and also remember to try and find some quiet time for yourself. That's the hardest thing to do and it's something I struggle with to this day. But even ten minutes of quiet meditation to get yourself centered again does a world of good. I usually find my quiet time in the toilet. lol

Good luck!


View replies by

Lynnitra - posted on 06/16/2011




Thank you so much for helpful tips and advice I'm going research it also I'm keep my faith in God it just get so hard

Linda - posted on 06/16/2011




I don't know where you are in your relationship with God, but I would try to find a Bible-believing church. Also, Chuck Colson's ministry Angel Tree ministers to the families of those in prison. They buy Christmas gifts for them and often do so much more. The link to them is:
I will pray for you. Reach out to God; He is reaching out to you!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms