Tax Refund Ex Husband

Alyson - posted on 02/17/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




This is the first year I am filing my taxes as a divorced single mom. My ex-husband has the kids about 20% of the time (one over night a week) and as a condition of our divorce I claim both children. We have expensive child care costs which he pays half of this expense as part of his child support (no spousal support). However he feels that he deserves some of my tax refund. I am not sure what to do or what seems fair?


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 02/17/2014




If he does the long form, he can claim childcare expenses, I would think. But, if it's court ordered that you claim the kids on the return, that doesn't mean you claim them and share that benefit with can't be done that way on the forms, and it would need to be mutually agreed (and preferably included in the court orders)if you were supposed to pay him part of your refund.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms