Tax Time and Dads

Heather - posted on 08/26/2014 ( 4 moms have responded )




My child's father does not appear to be passionate about being a father. He lives on the other side of the country, at the moment. My son is old enough that he likes to talk on the phone, but his dad calls only a handful of times a year--mostly close to tax return time. He pays child support but that's about it. (I use the support to pay for bills, which are conservative; I don't live above my means.) However, I cannot afford to buy new clothes and school supplies. Birthdays and holidays are quite limited and I scrape and scrimp to get those done. I use my tax return to buy new clothes and important household items, like beds/bedding. Several years ago, I told the dad we would alternate on claiming our son on taxes. That was when he was being an active dad. Now for the last two years, he has been almost nonexistent. He's like a ghost. But I know he'll be chomping at the bit for the taxes. I don't feel he should claim since he doesn't do anything besides pay support. What do you ladies think? How would you handle it?


View replies by

Amy - posted on 08/26/2014




He pays support if you don't feel like it's enough you can try and get it modified, but regardless if you're changing the terms you'll have to go back either way. My ex doesn't pay support although it's ordered, until it's current he can't claim the kids for tax purposes per our custody agreement.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 08/26/2014




What do your court orders say regarding claiming the child on taxes? If there are none in place, get some. That way, it's not 'compromising', its adhering to the court order.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms