Erica - posted on 01/27/2011 ( 2 moms have responded )




If your child is living at home, working and going to college do you claim him on taxes? I live in the US


View replies by

Amber - posted on 01/27/2011




There are two ways that you could claim your child:
1) If the child is under the age of 24 and you provide more than half of their support and they live with you at least half of the year, you may claim them. (They are a qualifying child.)

2) If the child is over the age of 24 and makes less than $3,650 per year and lives with you full time (unless they live in a dorm, they just can't have their own apartment) then you can claim them. (They are a qualifying relative.)

This should answer your question, if you need anything else feel free to PM me :)

Sherri - posted on 01/27/2011




Once a child turns 17 you can no longer claim child tax credit.

You can claim a college student under 24 as a qualifying child if they meet the following rules:

Relationship - son /daughter is one of the options.

Age - Under 19, or under 24 and a full time student for at least 5 months.

Residency - the child live with you more than half the year (time away at college is considered a temporary absence and doesn't take away from your time)

Support - The child may not provide more than half of their own support.
Source(s): publication 17
tax pro

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms