TAXES He asked if he could put our son as a dependent

Michelle - posted on 01/30/2012 ( 4 moms have responded )




Ok so I got divorced last sept from my son's father. Before that we were separated for about a year and 4 months. The father has not gave me any money when we were separated. I paid for the plane tickets so that my son could go see him and when we got divorced I asked that he pay $200 for child support instead of what they were asking for $400 because i new that they didn't have a lot of money ( he still lives with his mom, brothers and sisters.) because they were going through a tough time and still are. Now he doesn't call his son anymore. His excuse use to be that he couldn't talk and that he would call more often when he learned to talk. My son is now talking and is talking clear enough to the point where you can understand the sentence he is trying to make and still no call. I know that he loves his son very much but hasn't done anything to help me out which by the way is fine with me I don't care for his money. So he asked if we could put our son the taxes this year and the next year we would rotate and that's how it would be. I told him that I would willing to send him some of the money from that taxes if he really needs it that bad. What do you guys think?


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 01/30/2012




First of all the primary care giver of the child claims the child on taxes, so no it should not alternate each year especially if he is not taking the time to be even a part time care giver. Second @Sarah a mother no longer has to claim her child support for taxable income as your ex has already paid the taxes on it, and they can not claim paying child support as a tax deduction either. I also live in Canada and have never paid taxes on my son child support.

Stifler's - posted on 01/30/2012




No! He doesn't look after your son or give you any child support I think you need the money more than him. It's fraud for him to put his son as a dependent if he doesn't pay any child support. That tax office knows everything.

Sarah - posted on 01/30/2012




I think that's mighty generous of you actually. I believe because you have custody that you should be the one who claims your son as a dependent. He's not your exes dependent because he doesn't live with him. I do believe (at least here in Canada anyways) that he may be able to claim his child support as a tax deduction (just as you would have to claim it as a source of income).

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms