Virginia cohabitation laws?

Emily - posted on 06/01/2010 ( 10 moms have responded )




im 19 ive been with my boyfriend for a year and a half. i have a 10 month old daughter by another man. my boyfriend and i got together when i was 2 months pregnant, we are now talking about moving in together.A few people said i couldn't because i wasn't married to him and i have a does anyone know the law about cohabiting in Virginia?of any ideas of who i should contact to ask about it?

This conversation has been closed to further comments


View replies by

User - posted on 03/09/2012




cohabitation is against the law in virginia. VA Code 18.2-345 Lewd and Lascivious cohabitation

[deleted account]

Tracy's right, im pretty sure... the only way that you would not be allowed to live with your boyfriend would be if it was part of a custody agreement. other than that, no one can tell you who you are or arent allowed to live with if you're over the age of 18, regardless of having children.

Sherry - posted on 06/01/2010




family services should be able to give you an answer on that.. or google "co-habitation in virginia" or "virginia law on co-habitation" I did this too so not to worry.. I think I researched it to death but i'm in alberta canada so it might be different up here (oddly enough we don't live in Iglues but I hear it's fun LOL )

Karen - posted on 06/01/2010




the law is not about the's an old...OLD law that states living unmarried together as a crime by promoting "lewd and lascivious" behaviour (ie . sleeping together unmarried)..not really sure how often it's enforced but from all the looking i've found, if it is being enforced it's a misdemeanor and can result in up to 60 days in jail....seems like it's about time the laws be's the web site i had's quite long but towards the end is where i found the misdemeanor things...

Tracy - posted on 06/01/2010




Check with the courthouse. But I think unless it's in a custody agreement the child's father that niether of you are to have a live in with the child, you should be ok.

Kristin - posted on 06/01/2010




As an adult, you should be fine to move in with him regardless of your parental status. However, if you really want to be sure give legal aid or another attorney a call.

Stevie - posted on 06/01/2010




your an adult i would think you could do whatever you want naturally it would turn into a common law marrage past a certain point atleast thats how it is here but idk what it is like ther i believe my sister lives near or in virginia i cant remember she is navy so its hard to keep track sometimes but i know she wasnt married when she was pregnant or got married as soon as she could but she never said anything about her and him not being able to move in together but like i said idk anything about it just my area you can how ever probably look it up on yahoo or google or maybe even just by going up to your local courthouse and find out maybe a number you could call and you dont have to go but i think you can

Karen - posted on 06/01/2010




i had never heard of it, but i just did some looking on google and there are still a few states that have that law, virginia seems to be one of them...maybe go to your local court house and ask them about it - they would be able to give you more detail as to what exactly the law entails. good luck!

Kristina - posted on 06/01/2010




i have never heard of that i live in missouri and i moved in with my boyfriend about a year ago my son was 2 then...and he is not the father of my child could maybe ask a landlord...i would assume they would know of any laws but on my opinion i think you are ok and there is nothing wrong with it

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms