Wanting him to sign over his rights

Stacy - posted on 07/07/2014 ( 3 moms have responded )




My daughter Josslynne has a father that has nothing to do with her no child support no communication no nothing and I have been in a relationship with a wonderful man and wants it be legal that she is his. I don't want to go to court we don't have the money to do that plus he probadly wouldn't even show up and be more a waste of our time. So my question is has anyone ever done it through the newspaper as you could for a divorce? In need of advice please help I would like all ties cut from this man.


View replies by

Ronda Nicole - posted on 07/07/2014




I know were I live you have to prove abandonment for 6 months. I am going through the same thing you are but I have two children ages 5 and 8. You have to go through the court system. If you could just get him to sign over his rights that would be the easiest way to do it but if you don't know were he is or anything then it has to be trough the courts and if he don't show the judge will show that as abandonment and terminate his rights

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 07/07/2014




It is a legal process. Get an attorney, and pursue it through the correct avenues.

Your new man cannot simply say 'she's mine, I take responsibility'. A judge has to amend the arrangement in court, and it can only be done with the consent of the biological father. Should the father not consent, then push for visitation and support to be enforced through the courts.

Guest - posted on 07/07/2014




You would need to ask a lawyer. The laws vary on that by state, but I don't think any state will allow your new husband to actually adopt her based on the news paper announcement.
Many states DO allow you to use a news paper announcement to attempt contact when you are filing for abandonment, but you also have to prove that you have made every possible attempt to contact the birth father. If he refuses contact during the time specified by the state law (which varies by state from 12 months to 36 months), that eliminates many of the fathers rights, but I don't think it allows for the child to go through adoption in any state. For that, I believe you need him to physically sign away his rights, and that would have to be approved by a judge in court. It isn't terribly expensive.
Some states also allow you to change the baby's name without the birth father's consent if you can prove abandonment, so you could give your child the new husband's name once you are married, but legally he would still be a step father. The name change also requires some fees, but I think it is less than $500 almost everywhere once you've proven the abandonment or had him sign his rights away.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms