Wanting my daughter to use my surname

Daisy Dela - posted on 04/29/2016 ( 1 mom has responded )




Hi, I'm a single mom. The father of my daughter left us when she's 3months old. We never saw him since then. He has a family now and happily married. So i was just thinking of changing the surname of my daughter. She is 3 years old now and soon she will be going to school already, I want her to use my surname instead. How much will it cost to process this? How long will it take? Is there any chance that I can process this for free or at a minimum cost? Thank you in advace.


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 04/29/2016




Legal process. Starts with your district court. You must petition the courts. You must publish your petition in the local news source for 6 weeks. If there are responses to the petition, a judge will review and make his decision based on responses. If no responses, a judge will review and most likely let you change it.

Fees vary. You have the filing fees, plus the court fees, plus the application fees to change the documentation, plus the fee to get the amended birth certificate. The cost is what it is. It makes absolutely NO difference to the schools whether or not her name matches yours. Hers could be heffalump and yours snuffaluffagous, and they wouldn't care one whit.

What are your court orders regarding custody and visitation? you DO have these, correct???

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms