Wanting to gain custody of my nephew

Amber - posted on 08/03/2015 ( 1 mom has responded )




Hello all! Not sure if this is the right community to put this in...but here it goes. I have an 11 year old nephew that has not seen his mom in around 9 + years...his dad (my brother) sees him every now and then but doesn't really want to have anything to do with him. My nephew has been living with my mom pretty much his entire life and I have been helping to care for him too. However, my mom has gotten into bad health and can no longer care for my nephew full time so he has been living with me for over two months now. The issue is my nephew's mom and dad both have joint custody of him...the orders were granted when my nephew was a little under 2 years old. Do you all think that I would have a leg to stand on to get custody of him in court?? I know his dad would sign him over...but I'm not sure that his mom would. Do you all have any advice?? I am worried that the court would just hand him back to his mom...but my nephew has no idea who she is...he hasn't seen her since he was 2 years old. She hasn't made one attempt to see him either...I want what is best for him and I love him. Thanks!!


~♥Little Miss - posted on 08/03/2015




That is wonderful that you want to take your nephew in. Considering the lack of parenting from both parents, you probably DO have a leg to stand on. The best thing to do is get a family lawyer to go about this legally. If both parents are willing to sign over parental rights, you could probably adopt him. Good luck to the both of you!

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms