What do you do with your old car seats?

[deleted account] ( 9 moms have responded )

I've been wondering what to do with our old car seats after we switch over to the five star safety booster seats. My daughter has outgrown the front facing one in my husband's seat and in the one I have in my car she has about four inches left before she's out grown that one. I know my old infant carseats that were in good condition I handed over to my sister in law to give to my brother at the time.....he was a state trooper and they were running a drive to collect old carseats that were 2 years or less old for mothers without car seats. I know the one in my car is going to my friend who's son has outgrown his rear facing one because mine is a 3-n-1 five star safety seat from Eddie Bauer.....saving him a lot of money since tourist season is slow on the beach right now. But what do I do with my husband's old carseat....it's not even a year old yet and still fits all the safety regulations that are current.


Jeri - posted on 12/20/2009




Hi, I have taken all of my boys out grown items and donated them to "The Road Home".
This is also a tax write off for you, and it is going for such a wonderful cause.
Not sure where you live, I live in SLC, Utah. Also, you may want to check schools around your neighborhood to see if a child is in need of a car seat.
Merry Christmas!

Kathey - posted on 12/20/2009




After working with some groups I have found out (unfortunatly) you can't donate them to good causes. I think that is a waste of good car seats.but here in my state it is not alowed to give to used car seats to groups such as planned parent-hood or Helping Hands. (Although it is done, it is thought that some kind of seat is better then none) The reason for this is that it isn't known if the car seat has been in an accident or not, and once it has been , no matter how slight, the car seat is no longer safe. and the correct action is to take a hammer and break it up and throw it away, So If you car seats are in good condition and has not been in an accident, find someone you know that needs one and give it away.


View replies by

Kevlyn - posted on 12/19/2009




you could always put it on ebay...People sale some of the most rediculous things on ebay everyday so I'm sure a carseat would probably sale and pretty quick to i bet...

You could also donate it to a good will store or something of that sort...you could run an ad in your local paper trying to sale it or give it away, which ever you want...or you could send it to me...LOL....or like someone already mentioned...have a garage sale..i'm sure you have a bunch of stuff you want to get rid of if you really look through things and what doesn't sale at the garage sale then you could find a good will store or something of the sort and donate it...or donate it to some kind of charity or something....

[deleted account]

You can look online to see if there is a freecycle program in your area. it's affiliated with yahoo and you just have to have a yahoo account or create one to be a part of it. There are always people on there looking for items and also looking to pass on items as well..

Lisa - posted on 12/19/2009




I live in Indiana and theres a place here where you can take used kids things that are in good condition and theyll give you some money for it. Its called Once Upon A Child. Other than that, I guess when next summer comes around you could get some money for it if you have a garage sale. Hope this helps! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms