what rights has he got??

Laura - posted on 07/17/2012 ( 3 moms have responded )




What i wanted to know is, if your baby's dad has been found guilty and in jail for attacking myself and my 4 month old with acts like holding her up to a police tazer gun and trying to jump out the bedroom window at 11pm Dec, dropping her and much worse but don't wish to distress anyone or anything, and he has been seen as a risk against children. Is there any possibility that his name can be taken off the birth certificate if i go though court?? or does he have to hand over them?? plz help xxx


View replies by

Laura - posted on 07/18/2012




I have already got a restraining order and will renewing it once he is released. And i am already calling her surname as my own, but i wanted to know about the name change as my partner wishes to adopt her as his own as we are having a baby in his name and dont want her to be feeling left out. If i get married can i change her name that way, or do i have to still have his consent? so confused lol

Louise - posted on 07/17/2012




It depends where you are in the world. In the uk a birth certificate can not be adjusted if the true fathers name is on the birth certificate. If it is found at a later date that the wrong name is on the birth certificate that can be changed. Now it is on there it can not be removed.

However you can call your child any name you like through school as long as they are listed on their passport as their birth certificate name. I had my step fathers name through school and at the doctors, but my passport was in my birth name. I changed my name aged 18 when I legally could to my step fathers name so I could be married in that name.

I would also get a restraining order to this man as he has been found a danger to children. This does not mean you lose maintenance he still has to pay that. The only visitation he would get is supervised. Discuss things with a lawyer to see where you stand there may be more you can do.

Firebird - posted on 07/17/2012




You're going to have to ask a lawyer. Laws will vary between countries and states.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms