What steps should I take with my 9 yr old son stuttering

Liz - posted on 06/04/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




I have always noticed him with a slight stutter but it seems to be getting worse. My father also has a problem with stuttering. I am not sure how serious I should take this. I don't want to draw attention to it and make him feel self consious. I know that as he gets older kids will make fun at some point. Anyone have any suggestions?


~♥Little Miss - posted on 06/04/2012




Schools often have a speech therapist on staff, or mention it to your pediatrician. My husband has a stutter, so we are on watch with our children. My son does have some speech issues (not stuttering) and is currently seeing a therapist at school. You can have your son evaluated. Pretending it doesn't exist will cause more issues. For now, if he is having difficulty with a word, do not finish it for him. Just sit and patiently wait for him to finish. My husband hates when people do that to him, and it was always done to him as a child. It made him feel terrible.

You can get an appointment for a consultation with a speech therapist, you may need it recommended through your pediatrician though. Good luck.


View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms