What to do with my kids if something happened to me?

Christina - posted on 01/03/2016 ( 1 mom has responded )




I have some health issues and I was thinking about if something happened to me what would happen to my kids? Would they get split up? My ex husband and I currently got back together, We have the youngest child together but he raised my son from the time he a year old. My son sees him as his father. Than my oldest goes to her dads house every so often but he cant take care of himself more less a child. I wonder if it is possible to put in a will that my boyfriend gets to have custody of the kids and continue her visitation with her father. That way they are not split up. And the son sperm donor is not in the picture at all. Does anyone know how that would work? Thank you.


Jodi - posted on 01/04/2016




You can put whatever you like in your will, but ultimately, custody would automatically go to the biological parents of the children unless they sign away their rights or can't be located. I would strongly recommend you get legal advice about this, because a will doesn't guarantee anything when it comes to custody issues.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms