when to take daughter to the gyno

[deleted account] ( 13 moms have responded )

My 11 year old obviously has an infection of some kind in her vagina. I don't know if I should take her to the pediatrician or to the gyno? Seems young for the gyno but it is a lady problem...


Kate CP - posted on 02/09/2010




There ARE pediatric gynos, you know. They specialize in this kind of thing. I had my first period when I was 10 and I was definitely considered a pediatric patient. You should take your daughter when she has her first period OR has a feminine problem of some kind (like an infection). This, by the way, would be worth a long trip out of town to find a FEMALE specialist if you're worried about scarring her. Which, I can kind of understand...as a young girl I would feel really weird about having a male physician giving me an exam. I know it's not anything sexual, but as a young girl with raging hormones I can see how it would weird her out.

[deleted account]

I don't get this - too young for a gyno? That's their job, for heavens sake. They've spent years training to help with "lady problems" and they know a lot more about the female reproductive system that just sexually active stuff.If you want the best care for your daughter take her to the person best qualified to help her!

Rosie - posted on 02/09/2010




why is everybody so weirded out about taking a child to the gyno? i find it disturbing that people are so taboo about it. like krista said if your daughter had a heart problem you'd be taking her to a cardiologist, if your daughter has problem with her reproductive system, you take her to the gyno. i don't get the association between gynos and sex.

Rachel - posted on 02/02/2010




Take the poor girl to her pedi. Let her be a little girl as long as possible, only take her to the gyno if you suspect she is not doing little girl things. If she is having any discharge, put a pair of her dirty panties in a zip-lock bag and take them with you to the doctor's office--they will probably be able to diagnoise the problem from the panties and avoid any physical exam. I'm a nurse, and I promise you that yeast infections are very common, and do not require a specialist such as a gyno.

In the mean time, make sure she knows how to properly clean herself:

-wipe from front to back(make sure she is not pulling poop into her vagina)

-change painties daily--only let her wear 100% cotton b/c it allows the best airflow. If there is any reason she is getting moist, have her change her panties more often(yeast love warm, moist places),

-don't allow her to take too many bubble baths--too many cleansers can throw off the balance of healthy bacteria. Just simple daily cleaning with soap and water to clean the outside of her body--the inside takes care of itself. If you can get her to take showers, they're better at maintaining this balance than baths are.

Also: get her some yogurt or cheese with "natural cultures." The natural cultures are the good bacteria her body needs to fend off future infections. And sugar feeds yeast, so make sure her diet is not too heavy in the sugar department.

One more thing--if it is a yeast infection, she's probably itchy, and being 11 doesn't wash her hands as much as she should. Let her know that this infection can spread to other parts of her body(most commonly the mouth), so first of all she needs to try not to itch, but when she does, she needs to wash her hands.

[deleted account]

Take her to her regular doctor and have her checked out. If her doctor feels she needs to see a specialist, then do as he/she recommends.

She may seem young, but maybe she's developing early. I started my period when I was 9 years old.

This conversation has been closed to further comments


View replies by

Jodi - posted on 02/10/2010




I am closing this thread because the OP is no longer a CoM member, so she won't be reading the responses. Thank you to those who provided input.

Jodi Adams

WtCoM Moderator

Sharon - posted on 02/02/2010




I vote for gyno.

This is their specialty.

You wouldn't take your child with a heart condition to see your pediatrician. You'd take them to see a pediatric heart specialist.

You take your child with allergies to see allergist.

You take your child to the pharmacy to get prescription drugs, not the guy on the street corner.

Rachel your reply was utterly demeaning to all gynocologists every where. Are you so warped that you get sexual pleasure when you go to see your gyno? Good god, all I could think when I was there was "PLEEEEEEEAAAASSSEEEEEEE let her warm the speculum up!" Oh wait - I guess for you that was a lesbian moment. DUH my bad.

Seriously - the more relaxed you are about this exam - the better off your daughter will be. Why instill this abnormal fear in her? Its a DOCTOR, not the local prison for gods sake.

Abbie - posted on 02/02/2010




Has she been on antibiotics recently? That is always a kicker for me. I would start with the pedi, then go on the gyno if needed. It might just be a simple infection due to something simple.

Krista - posted on 02/02/2010




Rachel, I'm really surprised at you. You're a nurse, but you're recommending against a child seeing a specialist? And you think that she should only be going to a gyno if she's "not doing little-girl things"? Gynecologists are not just for sexually active women. They're for any female who is having a problem with her reproductive system. Like it or not, all baby girls are born with the EXACT same parts that we grown-up, sexually active women have.

It's the OP's choice, and if she thinks that the problem can be solved by the pediatrician, then that's great. But if it CAN'T be solved by the pediatrician, then she should definitely be bringing her to a gynecologist, and hearing a nurse imply that gynecologists are only for sexually active women, and that taking her girl to a gynecologist will somehow destroy her little girl's innocence...well, that's just really not helpful.

[deleted account]

thanks so much for the help. i figured she was too young for the gyno and they are all men here and that could be scarring. i figure its just vaginosis which is a common problem for me and my sister as well, but wasnt sure the pediatrician was who should deal with that. calling to make an apt now!

Iridescent - posted on 02/01/2010




If you know she's not sexually active (not a known issue always depending where you live), I'd go to her pediatrician or a GP. It would be a doctor she already knows, and it's most likely a simple yeast or bacterial infection from pH changes. You can also discuss what things may help prevent those as she gets older, because some people tend to get them a lot, and as she hits puberty it will likely happen more often.

First gyno appointments usually occur after they are sexually active OR 16 years old, whichever is first.

Charlene - posted on 02/01/2010




Maybe ask her which she'd prefer and if she doesn't know I'd say take her to a (female) gyno.

You'll probably get a better diagnosis.

Krista - posted on 02/01/2010




If it's a lady problem, then you go to someone who specializes in lady parts. If she was having a problem with her heart, you'd want her to go to a cardiologist, right? No difference. This isn't about sex, this is about the health of her reproductive system.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms