Where can my boyfriend look for good, free legal advice in CA related to gaining custody of his child?

Lauren - posted on 12/06/2011 ( 1 mom has responded )




Before my boyfriend and I started dating he got a girl he was casually dating pregnant. The baby is now almost 7 mos old and he adores her. The mother of the child is still breastfeeding and maintains that in order for him to see his daughter he must allow her and the baby to live with him - a situation that neither he nor I are comfortable with (he and I do not live together). However, as he wants to be able to see his daughter grow in her formative years he went along with it and now he is miserable to the point where he barely enjoys the time he does spend with his daughter. He cannot afford a lawyer at this time to handle the custody of this child legally, as I have encouraged him to do. I have offered to help him pay for one but his male pride won't allow him to accept my money. I am at a loss of ideas here, and it pains me to see him so beaten down. He is a good man who wants to be in his daughter's life, but the baby's mother's demands are just not realistic. I'm sure she has her reasons for them but I don't believe she is doing her child or herself any favors in this situation. I'd like to know where I can direct him to go to find good, free or cheap legal representation. I'd also like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they handled it?


Sherri - posted on 12/06/2011




He doesn't need a lawyer simply go to court and get visitation and custody officially set up through the courts. He will never be able to get 100% custody especially if mom is breastfeeding and she isn't a bad mom. However, it is likely he could get 50/50 custody or at least a set visitation schedule that will work for everyone involved.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms